
Wow, what a first day in Seoul. I find that the first day in any country is sensory overload. New sights, new sounds, new smells, new language, new everything. Today was like that. After registering for the Lausanne Biennial meeting, I had 2 hours to do my favorite activity--hop on a subway system I know nothing about, get lost, and find my way back. It is the quickest way to learn, and I really enjoyed two hours exploring just a little bit of Seoul.
I was immediately struck by the huge number of street vendors. Not so unusual in Asia, but somehow I didn't expect it in a city the size of Seoul. I walked one section that seemed like half a mile of just florists!
After that, I met everyone else here for the Lausanne Biennial and loaded up on buses to go to Seoul Presbyterian Church (pictured is Doug Birdsall preaching for the worship service) who hosted us for dinner. We were in for a treat. We enjoyed a phenomenal time of worship with musical presentations that highlighted the talent of the Korean church. Everything from children's choirs to percussion groups--and a handbell choir that was absolutely amazing.
But more important than any of that was being reunited with friends I have made over the past two years from around the world. Men and women of deep evangelical heritage who are leaders from around the globe. In addition, there are all of us on the administration/logistical teams that will do the behind the scenes work for Cape Town 2010, the III Congress of Lausanne. There is important work to do this week to make way for that.
Key prayer requests:
- Of course, continued health. I'm doing very well thanks to YOUR prayers
- I've seen most of the people I need to meet with, but still need to actually meet with them. Pray we find time in a packed schedule.
- Enough sleep. The schedule is full from early morning to late evening each day.
- Enough food (okay, I know I'm a picky eater--and yes, I've already found the closest Starbucks)!
No comments:
Post a Comment